One of the best ways to save money during the holiday season is to plan ahead. By taking some time to think about what you want to buy for your loved ones, you can avoid overspending on impulse purchases. Here are a few tips to help you plan out your holiday gifts in an affordable way:
- Make a list of the people you need to buy gifts for. This will help you keep track of your spending and make sure that you don’t forget anyone. The holiday season is a time for your to remember and cherish the people who aren’t in your immediate life. Having a good list will help your include all of the people that you want to feel special to and make sure that no one feels left out.
- Set a budget for each person. This will help you stay within your overall budget for holiday shopping. While money is never the main factor when it comes to gift giving, sometimes the right gift for a person is going to cost you a little bit more than others. Having a budget can help you keep perspective on what gifts your can afford to go a little fancier on.
- Start shopping early. By starting your shopping early, you’ll have more time to find deals and coupons. You can also spread out your spending over a longer period of time, which can help you stay within your budget. Holiday gifts can sometimes be in high demand and become very scarce by the time the festivities roll around. Make sure that you are able to get all of the gifts you want by getting on it earlier.
- Shop online. Many retailers offer great deals on holiday gifts online. You can often find free shipping offers and discounts when you shop online. Online catalogs will undoubtedly have all of the gifts you could ever need. Using the internet can give you a great advantage by eliminating the vast amounts of time required to go out and shop. You can get all of the perfect gifts delivered right to your doorstep in a matter of days.
- Consider homemade gifts. If you’re crafty, consider making some of your gifts this year. Homemade gifts can be just as special (and often more personal) than store-bought gifts.
Give example of homemade gifts:
-A photo album or scrapbook detailing all of your favorite memories with the person
-A basket filled with the recipient’s favorite things (food, candy, books, etc.)
-A handcrafted piece of jewelry or art
-A coupon book for services you can provide (massages, yard work, cooking dinner, etc.)
- Re-gift items you no longer use. If you have any items around the house that you don’t use anymore, consider regifting them to someone on your list. This is a great way to save money and still give a thoughtful gift. Just make sure that the item is in good condition and that you won’t be offending the person by giving them something you no longer want. Be aware that junk is junk, sometimes there are things that should just be thrown away as regifting it can send a less than favorable message.
- Give experiences instead of gifts. Sometimes the best gifts are ones that you can’t hold in your hand. Consider giving your loved ones tickets to a show, a day at a spa, or a weekend getaway. These types of gifts are often more memorable than material things and can be enjoyed by everyone.
By following these tips, you can easily plan out your holiday gifts in an affordable way. The holidays should be a time for enjoying the company of loved ones, not worrying about money. With a little bit of planning, you can make sure that your holiday season is stress-free and fun for everyone involved.